Holy Trinity Cathedral Church
Holy Trinity Cathedral Church is the religious center of Georgia . Its construction took 7 years and was finished in 2003. Its height goes up to 101 meters with 137 meter diameter including vestibule gallery. 10 churches are disposed in the interior. Together with the main cathedral, the chief gate, Iveria Virgin Mary and Ilya Tetezbitel churches are also included. The dome and 2,5 tone cross of the cathedral are gilded. Holy Trinity church is one of the grandiose churches in the orthodox world. The sacred items are kept in this church, amongst an unique handwritten bible of 1984-2004.
Virgin Mary dormition church Sioni is located on the street having the same name , in one of the oldest districts of Tbilisi , in upper Kala. According to the legend the first church on the very place was constructed by the king Vakhtang Gorgasali in the V century. In the north of the church a three staged church tower is constructed by Alexander the first and renovated in the XVIII century. The second church tower crowned with broach is located across from the street, in the north –western side. It is constructed in 1812 and is acknowledged as one of the earliest samples of classicist buildings. Sioni church had been the crypt of Georgian Catholicos Patriarchs. According to the saying St. Evstati Mtskheteli ( died in 550 as a tortured) lies in rest under the refectory, St. Nino’s vine cross is kept in the church.
In the historical district, in upper Kala, on Shavteli street the Anchiskhati basilica is located, the church dates back to the 6th century, and according to the historical sources it was constructed by Dachi Ujarmeli ( from Ujarma) and it was bearing the name of the Virgin Mary’s birth. The name Anchiskhati was given to it a little bit later, when Peter Meskhi moved the image of Christ not made by hand from the Anchi curch to this one in 1675 , Peter was granted the position of a pastor by the Catholicos Domenti. From this day on the Meskhishvilis were pastors of the church. The son of Peter- Alex is the founder of the calligraphers’ dynasty called the Aleximaskhishvilis.
Virgin Mary Metekhi church is located on the left bank of the river Mtkvari, on the cliff plateau , the first church on this place was probably built by Vakhtang Gorgasali symbolically resembling the church built on virgin Mary’s tomb in Gethsemane garden in Jerusalem. According to the legend the former catholicos Kirion transferred the body of the saint Shushanik to this church in VII century.
A long history preceded the construction of catholic cathedral in lower Kala , on G. Abesadze (ex –Catholics) street, that dates back to the 13th century since the Catholics settlement in Tbilisi. In 1240 the Dominican monks founded a monastery and in 1328 John the Baptizer cathedral was constructed and Tbilisi episcopacy was being founded that halted its functioning in the 16th century. The Catholic missioners returning to Georgia in the 17th century ,constructed the Annunciation church –so called the Latin’s church on Catholics street, of which they were deprived off by Teimuraz the II and this king abolished the Catholics from Tbilisi. The present church was constructed across from the Annunciation church( that did not come up to day) in 1805-1808 by Fra Philipo Foranian.
The Hebrews have been living in Tbilisi since it was founded. According to the sources that have come up to day , their main dwelling area was lower Kala. At this very time the Hebrews had the synagogue in Kldisubani, though it did not survive the time. The synagogue located on K. Leselidze street was constructed in 1910. The brick building is deeply protruded into the depth of the sidewalk. The wide stone stairs lead us to the street. There is one more functioning synagogue in Tkavi blind alley in Tbilisi. But in the synagogue that was constructed at the teens of the 20th century on Anton Katholocos street , the historic- ethnographical museum of Hebrews ( founded in 1933) is disposed at present.
The Arabian conquest of the 18th century was entailed with settlement
of the Muslim population. According to Platon Ioseliani , the first
mosque in Tbilisi was constructed in the 16th century it was the
Shiite mosque constructed on the place of the devastated Christian
church with the wish of the shah- Suleiman in 1522, this mosque was
removed during the Metekhi bridge construction in 1950. despite this
one, other Muslim worship places were in Tbilisi, such as: the
Sunnite mosque at the end of the botanical garden, constructed in
1723-1735 during the Osman reign , which was destroyed in the middle
of the 17th century with the order of Nadir- Shah . In 1846-1851 the
mosque was renovated according o the project of the architect Jovanni
Scoudier , but this latter one was also destroyed at the end of the
19th century and the present mosque was constructed on its place. The
eight angled Minaret of the brick mosque draws the attention even from
the far distance and is perceived in a different ways from the various
sides. The mosque, located at the end of the Botanical garden is the
only functioning one at present, and it serves as the Shiite so the